Monday, July 09, 2007

Dogs

As you all know, we have dogs in the neighborhood. Moms next door neighbor has two Neopolitan Mastiffs, and they were always pretty friendly dogs. Sheila has been there for maybe two years and Gino for about one. Mom would usually go up to the gate and pet them and when we would walk they would run inside their yard with us until they couldn't go any farther. Gino would always try to put his head through the fencing so that you would pet him. It was kinda cute.

Until today.............

Mom and I started out for our normal morning walk. I told mom "look the dogs are shaking the gate." Well they were and they both got out, there was a cement truck coming down the main road and we didn't want them to run out and get hit so we called them, or at least I know that I did. So here they come running, and then growling, and the next thing ya know, Sheila has bit mom and knocked mom to her knees. Mom grabbed at our fence to try to get up, and was trying to hit Sheila at the same time. Gino went after mom and I smacked him in the head with the towel I was carrying. Mom and I kept hitting them both and swinging at them with the towels that we were carrying to try to keep them away from us. I was a little scared to try and hit them with our hands (didn't want to get that close) or to try and kick them. Mom finally got behind a tree and we were screaming for our neighbor (she was in the house and couldn't hear us.) The dogs finally went they other way and we were able to get back to moms house.

We got pictures, but she said I couldn't post a picture of her butt. She has about a 3-4 inch cut on her left butt cheek, the skin was broken, but not enough where mom needs stitches. And her knee is scratched up pretty well from falling. Of course everything is starting to swell and bruise.

So mom decided that she still wanted to take a short walk and as we were walking we saw our neighbor (I called her and told her what happened when we went back to moms). She apologized and we went on our way. They were trying to fix the gate so that it wouldn't be so loose and the dogs couldn't get back out.

Came home and told Rich (he was going into work late cuz he was driving up to Destin today for a business trip). Well of ourse, he flipped, :) Told us to call the police and report it or he was going to shoot the dogs. I told him to let dad handle it, but he was pretty upset, which is understandable. I did call moms doctor to see if she needed a shot or anything (the dog is up-to-date on her shots), so they are to call us back when the doctor gets in to let us know.

Anyways, that was how our Monday morning started, ......so how was your day?!

2 comments:

Lifelong Learner said...

I was throwing up all night. But your Monday sounds way better. :)

Melissa said...

We've been traveling and just got back into town last night. Not much happening in our neck of the woods.. Sorry to hear Mom got bitten.. Kayla and I tried to call today but there was no answer. We'll try again later....

47 years! What an accomplishment... That's perseverance! ;)

Colleen- sounds like you were the hero of the day! That has to be pretty scary to watch and even experience...
Does mom want a mastiff still?

:) We love you all!