Christmas is always a special time of the year. Families celebrate the birth of Christ, spend time together, decorate the tree, and of course, give and receive presents.
This Christmas will be the one year anniversary of a friends 15 year old daughter passing away. Actually the 20th will be one year. One year ago was the youth Christmas party at church and they had to announce to the youth that Chelsea had died in a car accident. Some of the youth knew her and were extremely upset, others who didn't realized that they aren't invincible after all.
I know that her family has to be going through a very hard time. Chelsea's favorite holiday was Christmas and her biggest wish was "to get to spend Jesus' birthday with him." Well last year was her first and this will be her second and I know that she will be loving every minute of it and singing "Happy Birthday" as loud as she can.
I "feel" for the family, I have been praying for them and hoping that they feel a little peace. What do you say to them? You want to offer encouragement and let them know that they are in your thoughts, but you also don't want to bring the heartache up that they must be feeling.
Just a few weeks ago there was another 15 year old, killed in a car accident. Once again no seat belt and he was thrown from the vehicle. Makes you wonder why at this time of year does this have to happen.
I have this fear now of Trey turning 15 and Christmas approaching. It is like I want to keep him in a bubble during that time. Not let him go anywhere and just keep him at home. It is a year away and already I feel this way. He is my only one and I know that it would be a "one in a million" that something would happen to him, but ya know that "fear" just sits down there deep inside and festers.
I know that this time next year, Trey will be running around to soccer games, friends houses, church, school and other places. I know that I will let him go and tell him that I love him like I always do before he leaves. I know that the fear will be there, and I know that I will have to let him go. I KNOW that I will trust in God to keep him safe and to help me through.
Sorry for my ramblings, but I just needed to vent my feelings.
Pat, Bev, Jacob and Seth you ARE constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow. You articulated your thoughts so well, Colleen. Are you sure you're not supposed to be a writer?
I think fears are a part of parenting. It's hard letting go, especially when we know more now than we knew then. But you're right in that we need to hand those fears over to God's love and care. Easier said than done, huh?
Love you! Great writing, and good thoughts. Merry Christmas!
Stacy
Great Post Colleen!
Also a great reminder of how our days are numbered and how important it is to trust in the Lord.
Thanks for sharing!
Love Mel
Wow, you are a good writer just like Stacy said. Everyone has fears and those of a parents are that something bad will happen to their child. I know that my biggest fear is that something will happen to my husband but ya know that somehow thru LOTS of PRAYER God just gives a peace that you can't explain. I will pray for these families
Love ya,
Erin
Post a Comment